The Library has Book Discussion Groups for all ages and interests
The library is surveying current and potential book club participants. Please consider taking a few minutes to complete this survey so we can work to improve our book club services!
Tween Book Club
Students in 4th-8th grade are invited to discuss great books and enjoy pizza. Students are then welcome to participate in entertaining activities. This is a fun, interactive book discussion group that meets monthly in the Storytime Theater. For more information, please call the Children’s Desk at 714-777-2873 ext. 7
Pizza and Pages (Teen Book Discussion Group)
Teens in grades 7-12 can join their peers in a discussion of books written specifically for them! The first 10 sign-ups receive a copy of the month’s book for free! For more information please call the Information Desk at 714-777-2873 ext. 6.
- January 16, 2018: Only Ever Yours by Louise O’Neill
- February 13, 2018: The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
- March 13, 2018: Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E. K. Johnson
- April 10, 2018: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Herstory: Women’s Issues through Literature
Please join us in our monthly reading group. Books and discussions will include topics that revolve around women’s issues in society as perceived through literature. We will discuss the history of each concept and how far women’s roles have changed in society over the years. Our discussions will be fun and lively with a chance to explore interesting topics and make new friends. For more information please call the Information Desk at 714-777-2873 ext. 6.
- January 22, 2018: How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents by Julia Alvarez
- February 26, 2018: Bellwether by Connie Willis
- March 19, 2018: The Last Painting of Sara de Vos by Dominic Smith
- April 16, 2018: Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler
- May 21, 2018: The Cottingley Secret by Hazel Gaynor
- June 18, 2018: The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See
- July 16, 2018: Lab Girl by Hope Jahren
- August 20, 2018: Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- September 17, 2018: Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
- October 15, 2018: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Fowler
- November 19, 2018: My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout
- December 17, 2018: End of Year Party – No Book
Make N’ Take Book Discussion Group
Read a book, discuss, and make a craft! Discuss the month’s chosen title, while creating a craft inspired by the book. Supplies will be provided. For more information please call the Information Desk at 714-777-2873 ext. 6.
- January 6, 2018: The Cottingley Secret by Hazel Gaynor
- February 3, 2018: Lab Girl by Hope Jahren
- March 3, 2018: My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout
- May 26, 2018: The Readers of the Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald
- June 23, 2018: How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez
- July 21, 2018: The Last Painting of Sara de Vos by Dominic Smith
- August 4, 2018: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
- September 1, 2018: The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See
- October 13, 2018: Girl In Disguise by Greer Macallister
- December 8, 2018: If Not For You by Debbie Macomber
“Who Done It?” Mystery Group
Presented by our Friend’s of the Library, “Who Done It?” is the mystery (crime fiction) group. Themes for discussion vary from certain authors to specific locations or various subjects and settings. This group meets in the Library Community Room at 2 p.m. on the 4th Monday of the month. For more information, please call the Friends of the Library at 714-693-5044.
- November 27, 2017: Award Winners (2016 Publication)
- December 18, 2017: It’s Cold Outside Somewhere
Book Club Take Out
Have you always wanted to host your own book discussion or are you already part of a group and looking for your next book? Now it’s as easy as getting take out from a restaurant! Our Book Discussion kits include 10 copies of the book, a discussion guide, and instructions on getting started. Plus it checks out for six weeks. Check our catalog for our Book Discussion Kits.